Blog Archive

Monday, December 5, 2016

The Planet Transporter

     Doctor Hershey is a very successful scientist who is renown throughout the planet Earth. Oh, I am Trevor Hollingsworth his most faithful assistant. I have studied at the most prestigious colleges and Doctor Hershey took me under his wing about four years ago. I have learned a lot from the doctor and have been very impressed with his recent work. After the economy failed and the whole planet went to turmoil, the good doctor has since made some very impressive inventions. With me his faithful assistant running around gathering whatever is needed, I sit back and watch for hours as Doctor Hershey constructs and then demolishes everything he invents several times before getting it to perfection.
     Now I will briefly describe Doctor Hershey but never judge a doctor by his looks. Most of the inventors were also not much to look at either but who cares what they look like, it's their mind that we should admire. Now Doctor Hershey is somewhat of a short dumpy looking man with salt and pepper hair which is very receded, green eyes with black framed glasses, and always wearing a white lab coat. His shoes are always polished and his hands are riddled with arthritis and wrinkles. He has this mad scientist like laugh which I have to snicker every time I hear him. His wife died many years ago and since then he has been hiding in his work to cope with the pain.
     To give you a brief description of myself, I am a lot taller than Doctor Hershey by about a foot. I always wear khaki's with my rainbow suspenders, black dress shoes, and my white lab coat is entirely too small for me. I have short, clean cut but well parted brown hair, my eyes are brown, I am thin like a twig, and I have freckles on my face and other certain parts of my body I will not name. An assistant has to have some dignity about himself. Anyway, back to the story.
     Doctor Hershey has a brilliant mind with an ego to go along with it. I have seen him go days and even weeks without food or sleep depending on the invention he is working on. There is this one invention he is almost finished with and looks to be promising but hasn't been tested yet. There are two oval shaped discs that light up when turned on. I'm not quite sure what they do as of yet but I know the doctor has been working on this project for months now. He has separated the two disc shaped objects and I hear him mumbling while he works on them. His chalk board is full of formula's and he is constantly checking the board for any mistakes or recalculating. I am very interested to know what he is working on and can hardly wait to see the rials go forward.
     Well, I came in this morning to work and Doctor Hershey met me at the door grabbing me with a huge bear hug swinging me around and laughing like the mad scientist. When I asked him what was going on, he said that he has perfected it and his invention is ready for it's first trial run. I immediately became very happy for him and went to put my non fitting lad coat on. Once I walked into his lab there were the disc shaped objects across the room from each other. I was ready to see what exactly they did being that it took him months to get it to trials.
     The doctor handed me a pair of black goggles that he said would shield my eyes from the lights that were going to flash. I hurriedly put them on and sat in a nearby chair with anticipation. Doctor Hershey put on his goggles and proceeded to get a white rat from it's cage. I watched as he injected a tranquilizer into the rat so it would remain still and calm during the experiment. Once the rat was asleep, the doctor carefully picked it up and carried it over to one of the disc shaped objects. He placed it gently down on it and moved away. The rat just laid there sleeping while the doctor went over to his computer and punched in some codes.
     Once the codes were in the disc shaped object began lighting up and making this whirling noise. It seemed to be picking up speed as the whirling noise began changing tones. That's when it happened. The rat seemed to lift off of the object and started spinning around before disappearing into thin air. I sat with amazement wondering what happened to the rat. About fifteen minutes later, that little white rat showed back up on the other disc shaped object at the other end of the room still fast asleep. I didn't know what to think about a disappearing rat and once I took off the goggles, I looked at Doctor Hershey a little dumbfounded.
     He walked over to the rat and gently picked it up and placing it back into its cage before coming over to me and shaking my hand. I could tell how happy and accomplished he was and then he began telling me of his invention. I was astounded by his invention of teleportation, but that has already been invented I told him. He shook his head and laughed like that mad scientist before explaining to me that yes teleportation has been invented but not on a scale that he has taken it too. I was then again dumbfounded by his explanation. He informed me that he would need to do a few more trials before using human trials.
     I had just about fallen out of my chair when he noted that he will be doing human trials soon. When I asked him what the invention was called, he just said that if everything goes right he will inform me of its name. Okay I was now more interested in what this invention was to do or how it would be great among a world that has fallen to turmoil. I sat there quietly while the doctor went back to his board and looked at some more formula's making some corrections and doing some recalculating. He hollered over to me to take some notes for him where I reached into my lab coat and brought out my pen and pad. I let him know I was ready and then he began calling off items that he wanted me to acquire. It looked like a grocery list but were usable items and not food.
     I noticed one of the items on the list was a space suit and began scratching my head as I pondered about it. After the doctor gave me his list I proceeded to walk out the door in hopes to find everything he needed. I was gone for about three hours before arriving back at the doctors lab with his items in tow. He was again performing another trial run but this time with a cat. I watched as it went from one disc to the other unharmed. I was still pretty much in awe at this invention and knew the doctor was up to something so amazing. After giving him his list items I informed him of an appointment I had to get too so he released me for the day and told me to be back first thing in the morning sharp. I bid him a farewell and left to get to my appointment.
     The very next morning, I arrived at the lab with the anticipation of another trial run. When I walked into the room the doctor was no where to be found. I looked around the room and noticed that one of the disc shaped objects were gone as well. I started to worry that someone or something has taken the doctor. I hastened around the lab looking for any signs of a struggle when I heard this whirling noise coming from the only disc shaped object left. As I turned around something was happening above the object. I felt my inside start to shake thinking something went terribly wrong with the doctor.
     All of a sudden, there he was standing on the disc shaped object wearing the space outfit I gathered for him yesterday. He reappeared and stepped off of it like some moon man before taking his head gear off. I was so pleased to see him and he met me with excitement. I asked him what happened and he told me that he had been performing trials all night and that he was ready for human trials. I hesitated before asking him why did he become the human trial. He informed me he had been planning to be the first human trial in his experiment. I did look at him with skepticism when he answered.
     Then Doctor Hershey began telling me of the results of his human trial. He was so exited to tell me the name of his invention which was "the planet transporter".  I hesitated to ask but did so anyway, questioning him of why such a name. He responded with the events that took place during his human trial. This whole time he was constructing an invention that would allow people to teleport to another planet. Yes, with the world being in shambles we did in fact have space ships that took people to other planets which were very expensive as well as time consuming. The doctor wanted to make it much more realistic to travel with it being more cost efficient and with less travel time.
     When I asked him where he went or visited, he replied with to Mars since it was the closest planet for a trial run in the event something should have gone wrong. He noted that he encoded the specs for the location and took the other disc shaped object with him to leave as a doorway for space travel. Now that he proved it to be a success he wanted me to step onto the object with the space suit and go visit the colonized planet of Mars. I really hesitated at the thought of disappearing and reappearing on another planet. Doctor Hershey started putting the suit on me while I kept stating why I shouldn't go, but that made no difference to him.
     Once suited up, he assisted me with stepping onto the transporter. Before he went over to the computer to engage the machine he gave me the instructions on how to get back. Worried that something might go wrong I grasped a hold of reality while Doctor Hershey got the transporter initiated. Before I could get a word out of my mouth he hit the transport button to which I started feeling dizzy but was still standing still, so I thought. I felt like air floating around and I knew I wasn't on Earth anymore by the wonderful sights of stars and satellites that lined the Earth. I saw myself being shot through space as if from a slingshot. Things moved very quickly and the urge to throw up was gone. I saw the red planet as I drew closer to it. The only thought in my mind was how was I going to land when flying so fast. I began to feel nervous and scared that I wouldn't make it. All of a sudden I was on the planet and standing on the disc shaped transporter. I was amazed that Doctor Hershey's invention worked. There I was standing on this transporter and overlooking the colonies of the inhabitants of Mars. It was a thrilling moment and I felt like I wanted to jump out of that suit and my skin too.
     I stepped off of the transporter and viewed with wonder the desolate red sanded planet. I marveled at the colonies who were producing food and tapping into the planets natural resources as a way to survive. It was such a spectacular scene almost unreal. I remembered the instructions from the doctor on how to get back, so I got back onto the transporter and headed for home. On the way back shooting through space I could feel the warmth of the sun on my face and I even became a spectator of a nearby comet shooting by before seeing the colorful planet of Earth. She looked so amazing from the view I had and before I knew it, I was standing there in front of Doctor Hershey.
     I removed the head gear to listen to the mad scientist laugh before asking me of what I saw or felt. I explained to him the effects of traveling and what I saw on Mars, and even of the shooting comet. He ran over to his lab table and started making notes. I listened to the rumblings of a scientist who soon went back over to his chalk board and started making plans to create more planet transporters. He looked over at me and told me how he plans to have a transporter on every single planet to use for his experimenting of other worlds. I acknowledged how enthralled I was by his invention and that he was a success. I look forward to exploring these other worlds with him and hopeful that through his experimenting we will be able to colonize other worlds.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment